Information provided by Ohio Development Services Agency
To help small businesses find the time to focus on developing new markets, the Ohio Development Services Agency is once again offering the Ohio Export Internship Program. The Ohio Export Internship Program matches businesses with highly motivated students from Ohio universities and colleges, who have taken export-focused coursework at The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, Youngstown State University’s Williamson College of Business Administration, Cleveland State University’s Monte Ahuja College of Business or University of Dayton, School of Business Administration.
The Ohio Export Internship Program is designed for companies that are looking to export for the first time or to improve their current export initiatives. The program matches companies with highly motivated students who have taken export-focused coursework, while providing a 50 percent reimbursement for the intern wages. This exciting internship program offers a mutually beneficial relationship to students and companies alike by providing real-world experiences where both can learn and grow.
- Up to $3,600 reimbursement for half of the intern wages
- Trained, full-time summer interns will focus on export development
- A uniquely tailored scope of work with specific deliverables
- Students are mentored by Ohio Development Services Agency, Small Business Development Center Export Assistance Network and Ohio universities
- Compensation must be paid directly to the intern from the company or a payroll processing service. However, there is no reimbursement for processing fees. The intern must be employed 40 hours per week for 12 weeks, from May to August, at $15 per hour as an employee (W-2). Benefits such as health care and paid time off are not required under the program, but the company must comply with federal, state, and local laws.
- Managerial guidance will be provided for the intern.
- There will be an exporting budget, and the majority of the workload for the intern will be focused on exporting.
- A program evaluation will be completed after the internship.
- Building export readiness
- Identifying new markets
- Market-specific research and analysis
- Streamlining current export processes and procedures
2019-2020 Program Timeline:
- Student application: August – October 2019
- Student interviews: October 2019
- Company site meetings: November 2019 – February 2020
- Company applications close: February 1, 2020
- Export class: January – April 2020
- Student Internships: May – August 2020
- Export Internship Program Showcase: August 2020