Results from the first such business survey show recovery, growth plans
TIFFIN, OHIO – May 5, 2021 – Tiffin-Seneca Economic Partnership (TSEP) announced today that it is releasing its first Jobs & Investment Report. The report summarizes the results of their Jobs & Investment Survey launched in January 2021 and promoted in partnership with the Seneca Regional Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Services. Twenty-five businesses employing more than 2,700 workers participated. The full report can be viewed at tiffinseneca.org (or by clicking here).
Key takeaways from the survey included:
- There was good representation from rural Seneca County (proportionally speaking), with 40 percent having a location in the villages and townships.
- Participating businesses (as a whole) reduced their workforce by 8.4 percent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They hired more than half of the jobs lost back by the beginning of 2021. It also indicates businesses have not (as a whole) recovered to where they were at the beginning of 2020.
- More than ¾ of the businesses are planning to hire (76 percent) and/or train their workers (84 percent) meaning workforce development continues to be a priority.
- Investment plans for 2021 ($66 million) are in line with a robust 2020 ($70 million).
- Two-thirds of the businesses are thinking about making changes to their space/facility (64 percent).
Tiffin Mayor Aaron Montz was pleased with the results: “This is further evidence that our businesses are in a strong recovery and that they are continuing to plan to invest and hire. We applaud their grit and growth and want to do everything we can to support them.”
Seneca County Commissioner Mike Kerschner concurred, “I’m pleased that all businesses throughout Seneca County are continuing to rebound from a difficult 2020 and that they plan to grow. We will continue to make smart investments to promote jobs and positive development for our residents.”
About the Tiffin-Seneca Economic Partnership
Started in 1983 as the Seneca Industrial and Economic Development Corp. (SIEDC), the Tiffin-Seneca Economic Partnership is a private, non-profit corporation dedicated to driving positive economic, downtown, and community development in Tiffin and Seneca County, Ohio. Tiffin and Seneca County consistently rank in the top two percent of communities nationally for economic development and has one of the most recognized and award-winning downtown Main Street programs in Ohio. Learn more about the great things going on in Tiffin and Seneca County at www.tiffinseneca.org.