About Downtown Tiffin
The revitalization of downtown Tiffin began in 2011, when a group of community members came together to form Tiffin Tomorrow, with the goal of promoting and encouraging economic development in downtown Tiffin, and creating plans, programs and actions to ensure long-term vitality and prosperity.
In 2014, the City of Tiffin contracted with SIEDC to act as the downtown organization, and Tiffin Tomorrow came under the SIEDC umbrella as the Downtown Development Committee, which serves as the governing board of the downtown organization.
Main Street Community
Tiffin is a Main Street community through both Main Street America and Heritage Ohio, and practices downtown revitalization with a four-point approach. The points and their purposes are as follows:
- Organization – Involves creating a strong foundation for a sustainable revitalization effort, including cultivating partnerships, community involvement, and resources for the district.
- Economic Vitality – Focuses on capital, incentives, and other economic and financial tools to assist new and existing businesses, catalyze property development, and create a supportive environment for entrepreneurs and innovators that drive local economies.
- Design – Supports a community’s transformation by enhancing the physical and visual assets that set the commercial district apart.
- Promotion – Positions the downtown or commercial district as the center of the community and hub of economic activity, while creating a positive image that showcases a community’s unique characteristics.
There is a committee for each of the four points. The committees meet monthly at the SIEDC office. If you are interested in joining or have anything you would like to bring before the committees, contact Downtown Main Street Manager Amy Reinhart at 419.619.5517 or email@example.com.
Downtown Strategic Plans
Our downtown revitalization efforts follow two strategic plans:
- Downtown Strategic Growth & Development Plan 2016 (new, catalytic project plan)
- Downtown Strategic Plan 2010 (strategic plan, still active)
Facade Enhancement Grant Program
The downtown Tiffin Facade Enhancement Grant Program was launched in 2014 to spur downtown revitalization by providing financial assistance for outside, street-facing building repairs. Eligible projects can receive a reimbursement of up to $10,000 in matching funds. You can find a step-by-step guide to the program, including all of the necessary applications here, and a complete list of awarded grants here.
If you are interested in applying for the Facade Enhancement Grant, contact Downtown Main Street Manager Amy Reinhart at 419.619.5517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a lot of exciting events that happen in downtown Tiffin every year, from walks to explore the downtown shops and restaurants to the Downtown Summit, where SIEDC along with the entire community celebrates the accomplishments of the past year, looks ahead to upcoming projects and initiatives, and honors local businesses and community members who have made a difference in the downtown. View a full list of Downtown events and dates.
- Destination Seneca County – information about things to do; places to eat and stay; events; and visitor info (not just downtown information, but includes all of it.)
- Tiffinohio.org – another great site for info about events, attractions, but includes photos and blogs.
- Seneca Success – listing of downtown-tagged posts (including grants, projects, Architectural Board of Review process, etc.)
- Tiffin Historic Trust – organization working for historic preservation in downtown Tiffin
- Little Box Shops – great group of downtown businesses that promote together
- Tiffin Art Guild – place downtown where local artists gather