Coppus Motors will hold a Chamber After Five event and Open House on Thursday, Oct. 5 from 3-8 p.m. to commemorate 90 years in business.
The customer appreciation event will include refreshments, drawings, giveaways, and specials including the choice of a full vehicle detail or window tinting from Precision Window Tinting for anyone who purchases a vehicle Oct. 2-9.
Founded by Harry Coppus Sr. in Fostoria in 1927, the dealership was relocated to Tiffin during the Great Depression in 1933. In 1954, they purchased their first Mercedes-Benz, making them the oldest dealership in the United States still selling the brand.
John Coppus, Harry Sr.’s grandson, started full-time at the dealership in 1980 and took over the family business in the late 1980’s. During his tenure, John has made many improvements to the business, including remodeling and adding to the showrooms, offices and service department. Most recently, in 2014, Coppus began selling the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter line, which included a building expansion and additional training for the service department. Later that year, the dealership also received a 50 Year Dodge Dealer Award. They have also won three Mercedes-Benz “Best of the Best Awards,” one in 2008, 2014 and 2016.
The Tiffin Historic Trust is inviting the community to celebrate with them their 40th anniversary with an open house at the Grammes-Brown House Oct. 27, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
From the Tiffin Historic Trust:
A Brief History of the Tiffin Historic Trust in Celebration of its 40th Anniversary
In the fall of 1976, during the nation’s celebration of its Bicentennial, a group of citizens met at the Tiffin-Seneca County Public Library. Harold Hossler presided at the meeting during which Kenneth E. Davison, chairperson of the local Bicentennial Commission, made the motion to create a new organization, the Tiffin Historic Trust. In mid-October 1976, William D. Fletcher, Mary Lewis, and Barbara J. Howe signed the Articles of Incorporation.
The stated purpose of the organization was to “promote historic preservation in Tiffin by meetings, publications, tours or whatever other means may be chosen by the corporation.” The articles stated it would be a non-profit organization, with the goal of raising funds through grants, donations, etc., in order to promote and develop a total plan for the preservation and restoration of Tiffin, and to work with all interested groups or individuals to put this plan into effect.
Since its founding in 1976, the Trust has done the following:
Compiled an inventory of Tiffin’s public and private buildings; the entries were submitted to the State and National Register of Historic Places.
Funded and had the city install signs designating the Historic Districts within Tiffin.
Worked with college interns who prepared studies of Tiffin Architecture.
Influenced a streetscape project that led to the Court Street design with a booklet published with grant support.
The Court Street Extravaganza event led to the creation of a Tiffin Heritage Festival with architecture as the theme.
Submitted a bridge design to the Ohio Department of Transportation and convinced them to install historically compatible replacement bridges over the Sandusky River in Tiffin.
Sponsored architectural workshops, seminars and conferences, including two Building Doctor Clinics.
Prepared various publications, including a set of walking tour brochures focusing on Tiffin neighborhoods, sidewalks, streets and alleys.
Created a revolving fund to assist owners with their restoration needs.
Established the Annual Dinner Meeting in May, during National Preservation Week/Month.
Created the Annual Preservation Awards program. -cont-
Applied for Tiffin to be an early “Main Street” community and narrowly missed being selected, until it was achieved in 2016!
Wrote a design review program for downtown Tiffin; although not accepted, Tiffin did eventually implement similar legislation.
Accepted the bequest of the Grammes-Brown House from the late Rosina Brown, restored it to its Victorian grandeur, and now use it as its headquarters and for events.
Purchased a threatened downtown building and later found a retail business buyer for it, thus saving it from destruction.
Arranged for the cleaning of the William Harvey Gibson statue in front of the Courthouse.
Fought to preserve major architectural buildings within Tiffin, including the East Junior High School/Old Columbian building, and the 1887 Courthouse.
Assisted with the preservation of the Spiva-Manley House.
Hosted tours of historic homes and the annual Holiday House tour.
Created a series of wooden replicas of historic buildings made by the Trust volunteers. The replicas, along with note cards, were an important fundraising project for many years.
Held summer garden tours, and Victorian teas as fundraisers.
RE/MAX Premier Realty & Auction Tiffin’s newest real estate option
TIFFIN, OHIO – December 7, 2015 – Lifetime Tiffin residents Bill and Kelli Jones have opened a new RE/MAX office at 99 E. Perry St. in downtown Tiffin. The office will be a full service agency, specializing in real estate listings, farm ground sales, estate auctions, and information for home owners and buyers.
Bill brings more than 10 years in the real estate business to RE/MAX Premier Realty & Auction. “I’ve always wanted to be a broker/owner of my own office and right now, Tiffin is a great place to be. There is so much going on downtown and we are excited to be a part of it,” Bill said.
Bill is happy to be opening a business in his hometown and giving back to the community. “Every house sold in the first year will benefit Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, and we often help out with charity auctions, like the St. Francis Mardi Gras, the Mercy Hospital Gala and 4-H auctions at the county fair.”
Tiffin Mayor Aaron Montz sees the new venture as a credit to the community. “With all of the positive economic and community development happening in Tiffin, it is a great place to buy a home.”
The owners of 99 E. Perry St. will also be showing major renovations to the building at an Open House Thursday, Dec. 10, from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. The event is free and open to the public, and will include dessert and hors d’oeuvres from Phat Cakes, as well as beer, wine and soda.
Started in 1983, the Seneca Industrial and Economic Development Corp. (SIEDC) is a private, non-profit corporation dedicated to driving positive economic, downtown, and community development in Tiffin and Seneca County, Ohio, which consistently ranks among the top communities nationally for economic development. Learn more about the great things going on at the company’s blog at www.senecasuccess.com.
RE/MAX was founded in 1973 by Dave and Gail Liniger, real estate industry visionaries who still lead the Denver-based global franchisor today. RE/MAX is recognized as one of the leading real estate franchise companies with the most productive sales force in the industry and a global reach of more than 85 countries. With a passion for the communities in which its agents live and work, RE/MAX is proud to have raised more than $120 million for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Susan G. Komen for the Cure and other charities. Nobody in the world sells more real estate than RE/MAX. Please visit www.remax.com or www.joinremax.com.
East Tower LLC announces that it will be holding an open house and exhibition for the public on November 14 & 15 from Noon until 4:00pm.
The first floor of the East Tower has been partially restored and is available for its first public viewing. The low ceilings of the old East Junior High School have been demolished, exposing the decorative tin high ceilings of the original Columbian High School. Natural light now floods into the 13 foot high classrooms. The grandeur of the 1893 edifice is coming alive once again.
The Open House will also feature a special exhibition entitled, “Our Downtown: Past, Present, & Future.” Enlargements of over 80 photographs and artists’ renderings will highlight a 100- year span of time from the glory days of downtown Tiffin in the early 1900s, to the post war baby boomer period, to today & tomorrow. A former classroom is dedicated to each time period: past, present and future.
The “Future” room gives a sneak preview of renderings borrowed from the Downtown Strategic Growth & Development Plan, authored by the Gossman Group for SIEDC as agent for the City of Tiffin. When completed the Gossman study will recommend various development ideas and plans for a greatly revitalized downtown Tiffin. Although the plan is still in draft form, the pictorial renderings and maps to be displayed in the “Future” room during the East Tower exhibition highlight the vision, if not a possible plan, for the future of downtown Tiffin. Additionally, conceptual floor plans of the East Tower as a government office building will be exhibited.
National Machinery, LLC hosted an open house this month to mark the organization’s 140 year anniversary. On Sunday, the global manufacturer opened its doors to the public, hosting a three-hour open house event. During the open house, the public could tour the National Machinery plant, experience product machine demonstrations, view state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies, and learn about career opportunities. In addition, the company showcased its facility renovations over the years. Further, National Machinery customers had the opportunity to attend six different technical seminars, while taking a plant tour with machine demonstrations.
The National Machinery Company was founded in 1874 in Cleveland, Ohio by William Anderson. Eight years later, investors, and future owner Meshech Frost, convinced Anderson to move the organization to its current location, Tiffin, Ohio. Since its move, National Machinery quickly grew, becoming a global leader in advanced cold forming machinery, process technology, and customer support products and services. National Machinery products are used in over 130 countries around the globe, and are used in motor vehicle, appliance, bearing, aerospace, and machinery manufacturing industries.
National Machinery’s world headquarters is located on Greenfield Street, in Tiffin, Ohio. The plant is approximately 600,000 square feet in size, and is one of the world’s most flexible and highly integrated machining and fabricating centers. A picture tour of National Machinery’s plant can be found here. National Machinery has locations, including sales offices and services centers, around the world; locations include Germany, Japan, China, and Brazil. National Machinery holds certification in ISO 9001, and firmly holds the position as the “World Leader in Metal Forming Technology.”
An aerial view of National Machinery’s corporate headquarters in Tiffin, Ohio. *Photo courtesy of the National Machinery website